Grilled Tofu “Steaks” with Brown Rice and a Jalapeño Cilantro Cream Sauce and Baby Spinach
Grilled Tofu “Steaks” with brown rice and a spicy jalapeño cilantro cream sauce and baby spinach
Here is a dinner with minimal ingredients that’s super tasty, easy to make, and nutrient dense. It’s important to purchase extra firm organic tofu for this recipe!
I first pressed the tofu for about 15 minutes to get the water out, and then marinated it in a spicy sauce- I lovveeee a sweet/spicy/sour combo!
These tofu steaks would be perfect to bring to any social event where your friends will be grilling
2 tablespoons Siracha (Sprouts has an organic version)
1 tablespoon Coconut Aminos or Braggs
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
*play around with the flavors to suit your palette
1. After the tofu is pressed, cut it into 1/2” slices and put it in a shallow bowl with the marinade and spoon some over the top.
2. Put in the fridge for at least 15 minutes
3. Meanwhile cook your brown rice and prepare your cashew sauce
4. In a blender, mix 1/4 cup boiled cashews, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 jalapeño, a dash of salt and pepper, and half a lemon.
5. Take the tofu slices and throw them on a hot griddle or a grill, and cook until brown! When one side is cooking, I add some Siracha and maple syrup to the top.
As for the spinach, I used the left over marinade as dressing and adding more lemon.
Remember that adding lemon to leafy greens increases the absorption of iron and adds vitamin C!