Vegan + Gluten Free Chaga Waffles
I’m not much of a sweet person but sometimes you just need waffles because why not. This recipe is from my sister and they are vegan, gluten free, and amazing.
The waffle iron you can get for cheap on amazon, and it’s an amazing kitchen tool to have. It’s one of those things that once you got it you don’t know how long you went without it!
Waffles are great because you can add tons of superfoods to them. I added mushroom powder, but you can also add protein powder, bee pollen, maca, flax seeds, goji berries, greens, chia seeds, caco nibs and whatever other healthy foods are your go to.
One of my favorite places to get my mushroom powders from are rootandbones.
I added maple syrup to mine. When you purchase maple syrup, make sure the ingredients are JUST maple syrup! There are so many syrups on the market that are HIGHLY processed and should NOT be consumed. Many of them have added sugars and fillers (yuck).
There are also 2 types of maple syrup, grade A and grade B. Both are good! Grade A is harvested early in the season and is lighter with a more mellow taste. While grade B maple is harvested later and is darker in flavor and has a stronger taste. Nutritionally, the darker syrup has more healthy vitamins and minerals than its lighter counterpart.
Here's the recipe!
· 2 medium ripe bananas, sliced
· 1 and 3/4 cups 230g speltflour, Whole Wheat Flour, or your favorite Gluten-Free Flour (this is what I used)
· Pinch of Salt
· 2 teaspoons chaga mushroom powder
· 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
· 1 and 1/2 cups plant based milk of choice ( I used homemade cashew milk)
1. Preheat waffles iron.
2. Puree your bananas in a bowl with animmersion blender, food processor, or blender. Make sure there are NO banana clumps or this will lead to uncooked, raw waffles!
3. Add all remaining ingredients and mix together with pureed banana.
4. Pour waffle dough onto waffle iron and bake according to manufacturer’s instructions.
5. Serve hot with toppings of choice, I used maple syrup, vegan butter, and strawberries!